Addressing the Specific Behavioral Health Needs of Men
( 10 CEU Hours)
Course Author: Bryan Glazier, PhD, LMFT, LMHC
Text: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Addressing the Specific Behavioral Health Needs of Men. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 56. HHS Publication No.(SMA) 13-4736. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration,2013.
Agenda: Anytime Learning/Homestudy/Web-based
Through the completion of this course, learners will gain awareness of what knowledge and skills are necessary in working specifically men:
- Develop an awareness of how the differences in males and females, gender roles, conflicts, and masculine role stress.
- Identify the process of screening and assessing males in the behavioral health setting.
- Explore the various treatment issues for men.
- Examine various strategies and interventions in working with men.
- Investigate the specialized techniques and strategies in working with special populations of men.
- Explore the various treatment modalities and settings in working with men..
- Sex and Gender Differences
- Knowledge of Physiological Differences
- Identifying Conceptual Framework of Masculinity and Male Roles
- Defining Gender Role Conflict and Masculine Role Stress
- Screening and Assessment
- Comprehensive Screening and Assessment of Men
- Initial Screening and Assessment of Men
- Treatment Issues for Men
- General Consideration of Treating Men for Substance Abuse
- Gender of Counselor in working with Men
- Men Who Have Difficulty Accessing or Expressing Emotions
- Men Who Feel Excessive Shame
- Men with Histories of Violence
- Family Issues and Concerns
- Spirituality and Religion
3.Working with Specific Populations of Men in Behavioral Health Settings
- Co-Occurring Disorders and Men
- Physical Health Issues and Men
- Age Group Differences and Men
- Gay and Bisexual Men
- Career and Employment Related Issues and Men
- Men with Systems-related Needs
- Men from Diverse Cultural and Geographical Groups
4. Treatment Modalities and Settings in Working with Men
- Treatment Modalities
- Treatment Strategies
- Treatment Settings
- Mutual Health Groups
- Community Influences