Assessment and Strategies in Working with Persons with Co-Occurring Disorders
INSTRUCTIONS: Please review the course text and preview the course post-test linked below prior to enrolling in the course. It is recommended to print a copy of the course post-test preview and mark your answers as your read through the text. When you are ready to complete the course, click the “take this course” button and complete the course post-test. You will able to print or save your certificate after completing the post-test.
Course Description: Individuals who have a mental health disorders are at greater risk of abusing substances due to the alleviation of the distress they may experience. The complexities of differentiating between the underlying mental health disorder and the substance abuse requires a tailored approach to the assessment process as well as the strategies in working with these individuals. This advanced level course adapted from SAMHSA TIP 42, examines the assessment process for working with persons who have co-occurring disorders, and presents techniques and strategies to help them.
Course Author: Bryan Glazier, PhD, LMFT, LHC
Course Text: Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Substance Abuse Treatment for Persons With Co-Occurring Disorders. Rockville (MD): Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US); 2005. (Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 42.) Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64197/
- Introduce the role of assessment of individuals with co-occurring disorders.
- Explore the screening and basic assessment for co-occurring disorders.
- Examine the assessment process of individuals with co-occurring disorders.
- Discuss the process of working with clients with co-occurring disorders.
- Review guidelines for successful therapeutic relationships in working with co-occurring disorders.
- Propose techniques and strategies in working with co-occurring disorders.
- Assessment Process
- Overview of Assessment
- Screening and Assessment of Co-occurring Disorders
- The Assessment Process
- Strategies for Working with Persons with Co-occurring Disorders
- Overview of working with clients with co-occurring disorders.
- Guidelines of successful therapeutic relationships with clients who have co-occurring disorders.
- Techniques in working with clients who have co-occurring disorders.